[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/db/dbal.php on line 117: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/db/dbal.php on line 118: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/db/dbal.php on line 119: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable $Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable $Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
KREIDLER REGISTER DK's FORUM • Vis emne - The meaning of the word "Aplomb".

The meaning of the word "Aplomb".

The meaning of the word "Aplomb".

Indlægaf TFH » lørdag, 07. december 2013 17:03

His Lordship was in the study at Downtown Abbey when

the butler approached and coughed discreetly. "May I ask you a question my lord?"

"Go ahead Carson” said his Lordship.

"I am doing the crossword in The Times and I have found a word I am not too clear on."

"What word is that?" said his lordship.

"Aplomb”, my lord.

"Now that's a difficult one to explain. I would say it is self assurance or complete composure."

"Thank you, my lord, but I'm still a little confused."

"Let me give you an example to make it clearer. Do you remember a few months ago the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrived to spend a weekend with us?"

”I remember the occasion very well, my lord. It gave the staff and me great pleasure to look after them.”

”Also”, continued the Earl of Grantham, “do you remember Will plucked a rose for Kate in the rose garden?”

”I was present on that occasion, my lord, ministering to their needs.”

”While plucking the rose, a thorn embedded itself in his thumb very deeply.”

Carson replied,
“I witnessed the incident, my lord, and saw the Duchess herself remove the thorn and bandage his thumb with her own dainty handkerchief.”

”That evening the prick on his thumb was so sore, Kate had to cut up his venison from our own estate, even though it was extremely tender.”

”Yes, my lord, I did see everything that transpired that evening.”

“The next morning while you were pouring coffee for Her Ladyship, Kate enquired of Will with a loud voice, 'Darling is your prick still throbbing? ---

---- And you, Carson, did not spill one drop of coffee! Now that is aplomb!”
Med venlig hilsen,

Torben,
KREIDLER REGISTER DK.
Brugeravatar
TFH
Site Admin

Geografisk sted: Torben Hansen - 5260 Odense S.

Tilbage til Vitser